Search This Blog

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Another Day in the Slow Lane

Yesterday, I read an entry on one of my favorite blogs, “Time Goes By” hosted and written by Ronni Bennet. Her subject of the day was boredom and how as we get older, our lives seem to be taken up by the all the boring stuff we have to do - we’ve been doing most of them forever but Ronni was bitching about how all the stuff takes up some much of our time - and effort. Washing dishes, taking out the trash, sorting the recyclables, doing the laundry, mowing the lawn, raking leaves… and the beat goes on. For me there’s also pairing and dealing with the glitches on my hearing aids, gluing my dentures ( a couple of times a day), weeding the flower & vegetables beds etc. etc.. So, I was in a rather dismal mood before I read Ronni’s post but it really hit home. I made a comment in response and agreed that life does get pretty tedious in the “Golden Years” and was it really worth it? Maybe, when we pass GO for 30,000th time, we should just check out. If you happen to live in Oregon, New Mexico or the other states that allow assisted suicide it’s relatively easy and for the rest of us it’s a little more difficult but certainly not impossible.

This morning I woke up (literally and metaphorically with the realization that it wasn’t really all the boring chores but instead it was the lack of relief from the drudgery. The absence of exciting goals or realization of our dreams. When I was four I looked forward to being six and getting a two wheeler and going to “real school”. Later at about ten, I couldn’t wait to be 13 and go to high school. Then it was turning 16 and getting my driver’s license. Eighteen and buy a beer. 21 - adulthood. Then middle age and turning 65 and retirement- doing what I wanted, when I wanted to do it. Since then, I can’t think of anything I’ve looked forward to-no bike, driving, drinking etc.
And when I thought about that for a while I knew that what I looked forward to every day was -tomorrow and the wonderful thing about that is that since I’m free of any expectations. I’m never really disappointed! Now I’ve gotta go take out the garbage.

No comments: